Saturday, June 11, 2016

Social Networking Has Made the World Less Social

The explosion of social networks has engulfed the world.  Online communication began back in the 1970's with Bulletin Board Systems or BBS used primarily by the military and educators.  I remember using BBS to communicate with my father, a computer programmer stationed in Japan as a child while we waited the chance to join him oversees.  I never imagined as a child how that simple text communication to someone on the other side of the world would progress.

Flash forward to 2015 and people are spending an average of 1.72 hours every day on social networks while personal, face to face interaction is at an all time low.  Call and office or associate and you often receive an electronic greeting asking to 'text or email' rather than leave a voicemail.  Social Networking connected the world while disconnecting us from each other personally.  We have 'online friends' all over the world we communicate with via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+ and other online sources...but we don't take the time time to send a thank you card, visit family, friends or meet new people in person.

My business IS online marketing, I began teaching how to use social networks and Blogs to market as early as 2006.  What I realized is that I spend more time with friends online than offline although the entire premise of social networking was to be 'social'.  There is something to be said about meeting a client face-to-face, stopping by to say hello and have a coffee with an old friend or meeting a new love interest in person rather than through online dating.

I love the Internet, I love social networking but I also love and miss the real life interactions we all had before we became obsessed with social networks.

Robert Dotcom Jackson
Internet Builders Consulting
913-963-6792 Cell or text (don't call, I rarely answer)

No comments:

Post a Comment